Skip to main content

January-April 2021 Wrap-up Spoiler Free

Back in January, I decided that the one thing I really wanted to work on in 2021 was reducing my screen time in favor of reading time.  So, I set about reading as many of the 600+ books on my Goodreads TBR as I could.  40 books into the list, I realized I needed to be documenting this journey somewhere more official than my bullet journal.

The thing about starting a blog in May, especially a reading blog, is now I feel compelled to do a post covering everything I read this year BEFORE starting to blog about it. So, here it is, for your reading pleasure, Mel's 2021 Reading Adventure: A Summary.

January 

The Stats

  • 7 books
  • 3 short stories
  • 2435 pages
  • 2 DNFs 

The Books (in the order I read them)

  • The Duke and I by Julia Quinn.  🌟🌟🌟
  • DNF An Ember in the Ashes by Sabaa Tahir.   
  • "The Cleaners" by Ken Liu.   πŸŒŸπŸŒŸπŸŒŸπŸŒŸ
  • Hazel & Gray by Nic Stone.    🌟🌟🌟🌟
  • Shadow & Bone by Leigh Bardugo.    🌟🌟🌟🌟
  • Tempests and Slaughter by Tamora Pierce.    🌟🌟🌟🌟
  • The Unlikely Escape of Uriah Heep by H.G. Parry.    🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟
  • The Will and the Wilds by Charlie N. Holmberg.  🌟🌟🌟🌟
  • "The Wickeds" by Gayle Forman.    🌟🌟🌟
  • Veins of Gold by Charlie N Holmberg.   πŸŒŸπŸŒŸπŸŒŸπŸŒŸ

February

The Stats

  • 4 books
  • 8 short stories
  • 1692 pages
  • 1 DNFs

The Books

  • "Kind of Hindu" by Mindy Kaling 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟
  • "Please Like Me" by Mindy Kaling 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟
  • DNF The Bone Season by Samantha Shannon
  • "Big Shot" by Mindy Kaling 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟
  • "Help Is On the Way" by Mindy Kaling 🌟🌟🌟🌟
  • "Searching for Coach Taylor" by Mindy Kaling 🌟🌟🌟🌟
  • "Once Upon a Time in Silver Lake" by Mindy Kaling 🌟🌟🌟🌟
  • The Ruthless Lady's Guide to Wizardry by C.M.Waggoner 🌟🌟🌟🌟
  • The Unhoneymooners by Christina Lauren 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟
  • "Graceful Burdens" by Roxane Gay 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟
  • "This Telling" by Cheryl Strayed 🌟🌟🌟
  • A Darker Shade of Magic" by V.E. Schwab 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟
  • The Girl in Red by Christina Henry 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟

March

The Stats

  • 9 books
  • 1 short story
  • 3671 pages
  • 0 DNFs

The Books

  • The Marriage Game by Sara Desai 🌟🌟🌟🌟
  • An Unexpected Peril by Deanna Raybourn 🌟🌟🌟
  • The Forgotten Book by Mechtild GlΓ€ser 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟
  • The Fifth Doll by Charlie N. Holmberg 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟
  • Siege and Storm by Leigh Bardugo 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟
  • Ruin and Rising by Leigh Bardugo 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟
  • "Sweet Virginia" by Caroline Kepnes 🌟🌟🌟🌟
  • The Flatshare by Beth O'Leary 🌟🌟🌟🌟
  • A Song of Wraiths and Ruin by Roseanne A. Brown 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟
  • Vicious by V.E. Schwab 🌟🌟🌟

April

The Stats

  • 10 books
  • 0 short stories
  • 3782 pages
  • 1 DNFs
The Books

  • The Gilded Wolves by Roshani Chokshi 🌟🌟🌟🌟
  • Legendborn by Tracy Deonn 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟
  • The Lost Apothecary by Sarah Penner 🌟🌟🌟🌟
  • Six of Crows by Leigh Bardugo 🌟🌟🌟🌟
  • Deathless Divide by Justina Ireland 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟
  • Spellmaker by Charlie N. Holmberg 🌟🌟🌟🌟
  • DNF Strange the Dreamer by Laini Taylor (pretty sure I will finish this one later)
  • Firekeeper's Daughter by Angeline Boulley 🌟🌟🌟🌟
  • Arsenic and Adobo by Mia P. Manansala 🌟🌟🌟🌟
  • The Impossible Girl by Lydia Kang 🌟🌟🌟
  • If I Never Met You by Mhairi McFarlane 🌟🌟🌟🌟

Reflection

Annual Stats:

41 books
11,697 pages

Best Read (so far) This Year: 


Legendborn
by Tracy Deonn.  Extremely well-written.  The author draws from her own experience losing her mother, studying at UNC-CH, and living in rural NC to create a compelling exploration of racism, grief, and American history tempered by a unique take on Arthurian legend.  Recommend to anyone that enjoys an updated Arthur tale and anyone looking for page-turner fantasy that is heavily grounded in a real-world BIPOC narrative.

This book was purchased for my classroom through a grant from Donor's Choose.  





What books have you especially enjoyed this year?  Let me know in the comments :)




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

May 2021 Wrap-up Spoiler Free

May is a month of wrapping up for teachers across the US, so I thought now would be a good time to start writing and posting about my latest reading adventures. First some stats: This month I read 6 books, totaling 3004 pages.   This brings my 2021 totals to 47 books and 14682 pages. The best book I read this month was The Sword of Kaigen by M.L. Wang.  This book was recommended by several BookTubers that I like, so I went into it expecting to enjoy it, and dear reader, BookTube was right.  The Sword of Kaigen  combines many elements that I personally enjoy: female warriors, Asian-inspired cultures, complex relationships, and high stakes for the characters.  Yes, the book is a chonk, but the story is so compelling that you'll feel like the book was too short.  In fact, I devoured the second half of the book in under 24 hours.   Other books that I highly enjoyed this month: The Empire of Gold by S.A. Chakraborty.  I finally allowed myself to slow down and take the time to read thi